Re: html manual +css

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 01:54:43 +0900

I have eventually resumed "work" on this and here is what I got:

Original:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Visiting-Functions.html

Sample:
https://brandelune.github.io/code/Visiting-Functions.html

The css I wrote:
https://github.com/brandelune/brandelune.github.io/blob/gh-pages/code/emacs.css

It is something I had done a while ago so I just spent a few hours today
cleaning it up but I'm really not sure how I came up with the various values
anymore :)

Anyway, if it looks useful I'd like to think of ways to have it more widely
used.

Also, there are plenty of things that would be nice to have but in a way we're
hitting the limits of the texinfo output (and my css skills too, of course).

For ex:

@deffn Command find-file filename &optional wildcards

becomes

&amp;optional wildcards</em></dt>

it would be nice to have the arguments tagged individually and the &optional or
&rest keywords tagged in a different way. Also to have the various templates
identified for what they are. Maybe something like:

<dt id="index-find_002dfile" class="command">Command: <strong
class="optional">wildcards</em></dt>

Also, examples should have similar tagging:

@smallexample
(switch-to-buffer (find-file-noselect filename nil nil wildcards))
@end smallexample

could be something like

@smallexample
(@commandname switch-to-buffer (@commandname find-file-noselect @arguments
filename nil nil wildcards))
@end smallexample

so that we can have ways to target their contents with css.

Jean-Christophe

> On Jun 7, 2017, at 23:27, Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Jun 7, 2017 8:47、Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>のメール:

>>> Each of these files has a licensing problem.  I asked FSF staff to fix
>>> the last two, and mailed to emacs-devel about the first.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, please don't copy any of that code, with or without
>>> changes,
>>> to any other file that will be distributed to the public.
>>
>> CSS is not high level wizardry, maybe it would be simpler to create a new
>> set of rules for the offline manual ?
>
> I've created a single css file which renders in a way that's similar to the
> web version of the HTML pages (it is not identical though).
>
> I'd like to know what kind of licence should such a CSS file come with.
>
> Jean-Christophe

Jean-Christophe Helary