Re: list of elisp primitives ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: list of elisp primitives ?
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 03:22:07 +0900

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 3:09, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Don't confuse building blocks for implementing Lisp
> in C with building blocks for defining Lisp in Lisp,
> which I suspect is really what you're after: a set
> of primitive Lisp constructs that can be used to
> define the rest of the language.

Well, I really don't want to redefine the language.

I just want to do simple file i/o and error handling etc. without having to
worry about "and you can also do this and that by using that function and by
setting this variable you can also do that" which is what the elisp reference
is full of.

In my attempt at inserting an xml block into a RSS feed, I was presented with a
number of different ways to do that, none corresponding to the functions I'd
have picked by reading the reference. Same for error handling (and without help
from the list I'd be stuck between sentences trying to make sense of the
reference).

I'm fine with "there is more than one way to do it", but sometimes the subtle
differences don't make much sense.

Jean-Christophe Helary