Re: master 83587bb 1/2: Correctly cache sorted completions in icomplete-

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 83587bb 1/2: Correctly cache sorted completions in icomplete--sorted-completions
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 22:33:14 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 17:31:25 +0000
>
> >   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-12/msg00635.html
> >
> > and it definitely starts a new thread.
>
> That's the one I had in mind. It appears in the longer-running "Starting the
> Emacs 27 release cycle" thread as a reply to Bastien's
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-12/msg00129.html
> (as you can see by following the link your posted).

That's the mailman archiving feature being too "smart".  I didn't
remove any Re from the subject, I wrote an entirely new message.  It
just happened to use the same Subject line as some previous
discussion, so mailman decided they were the same thread.  If you
examine the mail headers of my message, you will see that it doesn't
have the other messages in its References header, and no In Reply To,
either.  I hope the MUA you are using to read the mailing list is
smarter than mailman.

> Even though you removed the "Re:" from the subject, Gmail also hides it in the
> same "conversation", so it doesn't stand out as a new thread.

So you may wish to submit a bug report against Gmail for too naïve
threading.

> Maybe I should blame Gmail. I'm working on ditching it, or at least
> the web client,
> but can't seem to close the deal :-(

Using any MUA we have in Emacs will produce much better results.