cc-mode Objective C method names

From: Alan Third
Subject: cc-mode Objective C method names
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 11:27:57 +0000

One small annoyance I’ve had with developing Emacs is that the
helpers for filling in the changelog entries don’t work with Objective
C methods. I’ve tried writing a patch to make it work.

For reference, an Objective C class looks something like:

@implementation ClassName

- (int)doSomething
{
  /* do that something */
  return 1;
}

- (void)doSomethingTo: (SomeClass *)object with: (int)someParam
{
  return;
}

@end

And I think the methods’ names should be written something like:

-[ClassName doSomething]
-[ClassName doSomethingTo:with:]

The ‘-’ means it’s an instance method and a ‘+’ would mean it was a
class method.

It appears to work for me, but I’m not great at Emacs lisp so I
thought it best to run this by the mailing list in case I’ve made any
boneheaded errors.

Thanks!
--
Alan Third