Re: Scan of broken conditional forms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Scan of broken conditional forms
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 17:45:04 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 13:40:50 -0800
>
> On 1/4/20 11:39 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Why are we making non-essential changes on the release branch?
>
> That particular change was a mistake. I thought I was installing into master,
> but installed into emacs-27. As I don't think it matters much either way I
> left
> it alone. If you prefer that I revert the emacs-27 change and install it into
> master please let me know.

Yes, let's install this only on master, please.  Some of the changes
are non-trivial enough to make me uneasy.

Btw, the change in titdic-cnv.el, by itself, makes no sense: that
function is full of other duplicate identical strings from which it
selects using the big5-p flag, just look at the code starting from
this:

    (let ((punctuation '((";" ";﹔,、﹐﹑" ";﹔,、﹐﹑")

and ending with

                      (if big5-p (nth 1 elt) (nth 2 elt))))))

When Stefan recoded this file, he left that code intact, which now
makes no sense at all.  We should probably propertize the strings with
the 2 corresponding charset properties, something that before the
recoding happened automagically (because ISO-2022 records the charset
in the encoding), and which was the whole purpose of this function.

Thanks.