Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 01:44:20 +0300

On 03.01.2020 22:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
But that's just MO; I started this thread to maybe inspire someone to
have a second look on the related features and propose ways of
improving what we do today, both feature-wise and speed-wise, as I see
quite a few complaints about lack of features and slowness in stuff
like font-lock.

IME font-lock is slow:

- On long lines (which is hard to improve by simply implementing something in C),
- In certain major modes, on particular ones in CC Mode collection.

I imagine the latter is also caused by a relative complexity of the syntax in C++ and related languages, but also because, IIUC, CC Mode doesn't really do incremental parsing.

syntax-propertize-function, which is used by many other modes, kind of uses that paradigm, with a certain amount of success.

So the main thing I'd really expect from the new approach is "new features", i.e. ways to easier and more clearly express language syntax. Which, in turn, could entice our CC Mode developer to use it, with corresponding improvement in perceived performance. And, really, if TreeSitter's algorithmic complexity is good enough for us, it can probably be implemented in Lisp. With some critical section or two in C, maybe.