Re: Bad RFC 2047 decoding in Rmail

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bad RFC 2047 decoding in Rmail
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 17:42:31 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 18:08:36 -0500
>
> I debugged this some, and found that rfc2047-decode-encoded-words
> is decoding header fields such as =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=C3=A9raud?=
> incorrectly, using a peculiar choice of coding system, windows-1252.
> That seems to come from mm-charset-to-coding-system.
>
> Does anyone see how that could happen?

It has to be something at least a bit specific to your environment or
customizations, because I use Rmail in the exact same way, and these
problems never happen to me, including when replying to jidanni.

Can you try this in "emacs -Q"?  It would help if you did that with
the email message where the problem happened, which is this:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38818#80

You can download that message in mbox format from this URL:

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?msg=80;bug=38818;mbox=yes

If you respond to this message, and the problem happens in "emacs -Q"
as well, then please either step through rfc2047-decode-encoded-words
and tell where does it make the bad decoding decision, or tell me you
values of locale-coding-system and buffer-file-coding-system, and I
will try to reproduce on my system.

If the problem doesn't happen in "emacs -Q", then some of your
customizations directly or indirectly cause
rfc2047-decode-encoded-words to fail, and so please try to find out
which of the customizations do that.