Re: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Mingde (Matthew) Zeng
Subject: Re: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 00:28:54 -0500

> I think such a warning is not a solution, because it's all to easy to
> miss it.  It could even be an annoyance.
>
> But that's my opinion; let's hear others.

I am one of many people who was confused by this change as well.

I agree that we should (at least) give a warning during startup. If you believe
it's too easy to miss it, a y-or-n prompt notifying ~/.config/emacs creation
would be much better, though I might be asking too much.

I don't think it will be an annoyance, because this warning/prompt should only
occur in the first ever startup of Emacs, prior to creating any configuration
file. If configuration exists either in ~/.emacs.d or ~/.config/emacs, the user
should never see this message again.

Matthew