How to run emacs under a debugger on macOS?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: How to run emacs under a debugger on macOS?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 11:32:15 +0000

I haven't done any C/C++ programming on macOS. I am just a user who
connects to remote machines for development. Those who have done it on
macos, please help.

On GNU/Linux, launching a debug build under a debugger is simple "gdb
<binary>". How does Emacs dev community do so on macos? Also tell me how
to make a debug build on macos. Usually I just

make install
test the binary (./src/emacs -Q)
rm -rf /Applications/Emacs.app
cp -r nextstep/Emacs.app /Applications/Emacs.app

In short,
1. How to make debug build?
2. How to launch emacs under a debugger on macos?
3. Any other instructions relevant for debugging.

Regards,
Pankaj