Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 15:24:37 +0300

On 11.01.2020 9:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Yes, users who want to compile their own parsers, or recompile
existing ones, will have to have a C compiler installed.  Which is a
downside, but not a serious one in this case, IMO, because most users
will use existing parser tables.  I'd expect most if not all of such
tables to come together with the Emacs-adapted Tree-Sitter package, or
be available on ELPA, or even (gasp!) in core.

ELPA won't solve the necessity to have this code compiled for different platforms.

If we go this route, then Tree-Sitter and some core grammars will have to be in the core for sure, I'm just worried about the ease of improving or developing new ones.

Our users, compared to other editors, are probably the most spoiled (in a good way) in regards to development iteration speed.

So, as outlined previously, we might even prefer 10x slower parsing speed if it comes with faster development cycle.