Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 18:15:54 +0100

Le dim. 19 janv. 2020 à 17:02, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> a écrit :

> We could expect emacs to be a little bit more reactive here.

Please repeat the experiment in a fresh "emacs -Q" right after
starting it, then, after you finish scrolling, see what is the amount
of CPU time reported by utilities such as PsList.  Alternatively, look
at the load average value displayed by another Emacs session.

In my testing, when I lean on the DOWN arrow, the system load never
raises above 0.25, which means 3/4th of the time Emacs is idle.  My
keyboard's auto-repeat rate is 30 characters per second, which means
Emacs uses up about 7 msec (1000 / 30 / 4) to process every DOWN-arrow
keypress, and that includes all the redisplay code, JIT font-lock
etc.  I'm not sure I agree to call this "slow".

Ok, thanks for the explanation which makes sense. I was afraid that elisp be a drag here,
but it does not seem to account for too much. And it is on par with other code editors (I tried
PyCharm to compare)

(BTW, my keyboard is also on the fastest auto-repeat setting ... but there are ways to speed it
 over the limit imposed by the control panel of windows)

Fabrice