Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is Emacs buffer scroll/redisplay slow?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 08:20:41 -0500

>> If Emacs is slow in such a test, you'll notice because it will stop
>> refreshing the display at times (hoping that skipping the redisplay time
>> will help it keep up with the repeat rate).

> If I posted this, it is because looking at it, the cursor was like
> jumping from line to line, but it doesn't seem steady. Actually,
> I changed some setting to get a faster autorepeat and emacs keeps up
> when the time is down to 16s for 1000 lines, more than twice as fast.

Ah, now you're talking!
Then yes, we have a speed problem.  Usually this depends on the
minor&major modes involved, so the profile is the best way to
start digging.  Could you try and redo the profile run, but where you
maximize the proportion of "line scrolling" that takes place during the
time between `profiler-start` and `profiler-report`?

        Stefan