Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 15:01:48 -0500

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 4:49 AM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Side window have to be on the side, so you can’t put a function window
> > in the middle.
>
> All this is on purpose.  It's the most simple approach to draw a divider
> between a rectangular region of the frame called the main window where
> users and applications can conceptually do whatever they want and a
> fixed region outside that main window, laid out in a strict and
> immutable fashion.  If such a division doesn't work for GDB's many
> windows concept, I have no idea what to do.  Side windows were designed
> to accomplish exactly tasks like this.

Ok, that makes sense. I had a look at `display-buffer-in-side-window`, it’s a
pretty big function. I guess it’s not easy to make an ordinary window into a
side-window?

> > And if a user manually layout his windows, they won’t
> > be side windows.
>
> In that case the user has to bear the consequences as with the basic
> layout we already have now.
>
> > Is there any other way to limit the location of a to-be-created window?
>
> The buffer display functions try to not limit locations.  Limiting
> locations will sooner or later paint you into a corner where you find no
> window to display your buffers.  The idea is rather to suggest which
> locations can be used rather than suggesting which locations cannot be
> used.
>
> With the default settings, users can always use the recipe provided by
> Eli: Put the gdb windows into a separate frame (optionally making that
> frame unsplittable) and operate from there as long as you are debugging
> only.

These all make a lot of sense. I guess there is no easy way to simultaneously
let user use arbitrary window layouts and use side window for function buffers
(to prevent splitting).

I’ll let these patches sit for a while and wait for someone to review them. It
seems not many people on emacs-devel use gdb-mi w/ many windows tho. What do
you use?

Yuan