Re: Problems with SourceCodeVariable [Re: cairo now default?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Problems with SourceCodeVariable [Re: cairo now default?
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 07:14:41 +0100

Madhu <address@hidden> writes:

> [sorry to hijack this thread] I'm seeing problems with the
> SourceCodeVariable OTF fonts recently - I'm not sure if this is a
> freetype bug - I'm only ever seeing this with emacs (all other
> programs are unaffected) I'm posting a screenshot with emacs-gtk with
> cairo.  harfbuzz-2.6.4 cairo-1.16.0 gtk+-3.24.11

I've had an issue with similar result (whitespace not displayed at all)
at work with IntelliJ IDEA, see:

  https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-230576

I haven't changed anything when that issue appeared although it is
possible that some font related package was upgraded.  (Currently I use
gtk3 3.24.13, cairo 1.17.2, harfbuzz 2.6.4.)  Nevertheless, the issue
persisted restarts of IDEA.  Only after I've deleted some IDEA-generated
project file (which actually has nothing to do with fonts at all) and
restarted, the issue disappeared.

On IRC I've read someone speaking about a similar issue before.

Long story short: it might be some issue with some underlying lib
because the issue has been observed in multiple programs.

Bye,
Tassilo