Re: Problem with portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem with portable dumper
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 17:24:17 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:19:46 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> The changes in files.el and vc-hooks.el are not related to Tramp. I have
> >> changed the find-file* family of functions as well as vc-refresh-state
> >> to run asynchronously if indicated. Tramp just profits from it.
> >
> > Why can't you make the mutex nil before dumping and restore it at
> > startup?
>
> That works, thanks!

I'm glad my idea worked.

Btw, on a more general note: I presume that your code has a way to
disable threading in file I/O.  (If it doesn't, it should IMO, for
debugging purposes and also for situations where threading cannot be
allowed for some other reasons.)  Then you could simply arrange for
threading to be disabled during dumping, and enable it in startup.el
when Emacs starts normally.  And when threading is disabled, there
should be no need to have any mutex variables.