Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 01:01:42 +0200

On 16.02.2020 12:01, martin rudalics wrote:
That's what I wanted to know - whether the flickering is just the same
as with your Lisp solution.

Having tried it out, it looks like an okay workaround.

It seems like the optimization I described is sort of already there, at least as far as fit-frame-to-buffer is concerned. So it's better than explicitly cycling frame visibility like I tried before.

When the frame does need to be resized, the flicker is there, of course.

But with the current implementation of company-posframe, at least, it might look better than the current behavior also with a GTK2 build. Like, with the new var set to nil (default), the frame is seemingly resized in two steps (*):

 - Resize the frame.
   (redisplay, apparently, but show the previous contents of the buffer)
 - Update the contents of the frame.
   (redisplay again, apparently)

The whole process is fast, but not fast enough for me to miss this transition.

It's either a bug in company-posframe or in Emacs itself, but setting x-gtk-hide-child-frame-during-resize to t at least makes it happen in one move, at the cost of having the whole popup blink at the same time.

(*) Tried to see the same problem with a Lucid build but couldn't. Maybe just because it resizes faster, IDK.