Re: Writing ChangeLog-style commit messages with Magit

From: dick . r . chiang
Subject: Re: Writing ChangeLog-style commit messages with Magit
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 11:15:11 -0500

I separately inquired of OP (Mr. Tedin) why he sought this ChangeLog automation, and he expectedly replied that CONTRIBUTE requires it. I would have been surprised if he said some other project imposed this antiquated practice. I have just now read some of the interminable discussion from July 2018 https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-07/msg00364.html. To sum up, liberals ask "Why are we imposing this chore of questionable utility?" and conservatives reply "It's not that much work, and utility notwithstanding, continuity is paramount." I'm not going to re-prosecute this as Mr. Zaretskii has proclaimed "that ship has sailed ... and I don't think it's coming back." So I wrote github.com/dickmao/magit-patch-changelog as an "end run" to accommodate the workflow Mr. Zaretskii prescribes: "I generally write the GNU-style ChangeLog entries only when I land a feature on the development branch, I don't write them while working on a feature branch." With magit-patch-changelog, one need merely type a few keystrokes to squash changes in said feature branch and auto-generate the "paperwork" for submission to address@hidden. Mr. Postavsky's forthcoming tooling appears to auto-generate ChangeLog entries "as you go." This convenience appears much in demand, but not how I, or Mr. Zaretskii apparently, prefer to work on emacs. As quoted above, we prefer committing freely and only complying with CONTRIBUTE when we're ready to submit.