Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 10:03:30 +0100

>> Anyway, AFAICT the hide during resizing approach seems to be the only
>> halfway working alternative at the moment.
>
> That, or the patch using the obsolete
> gtk_container_set_resize_mode. I'm not 100% sure which is the best
> choice (you seem to be favoring the hiding approach, judging by the
> next paragraph), but the other one seems to provide a better
> experience in the use case I'm looking at. Especially when combined
> with (setq x-wait-for-event-timeout 0.0).

The problem is that the gtk_container_set_resize_mode patch might break
with the next update of mutter or GTK.  It also freezes Emacs on
desktops like kwin and xfwm and therefore must be made optional anyway.
I meanwhile tested some ten window managers and so far only the GNOME
and Budgie (both mutter based) desktops exhibit the resize problem.

So I intend to add an option, say 'x-gtk-resize-child-frames', that
would be nil by default and have the optional values say 'hide and
'resize-mode which would either use the hiding or the container based
approach to deal with the problem.

>> It's also the only one that
>> can show a scroll bar on a child frame (not necessarily right away but
>> after one resize operation at least).  Which hints at some outer-window
>> vs edit-window snafu but so far I have no idea where to look.
>
> FWIW, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of users of child frames out there aren't going
to enable scroll bars.

Maybe.  The fact that it doesn't work with mutter still hints at a more
serious underlying problem.

martin