Re: lexical-binding is turned on in more use cases

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: lexical-binding is turned on in more use cases
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 20:16:30 +0000

Hello, Andrea.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 19:49:55 +0000, Andrea Corallo wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> > What specific real problem does forcing M-: to use lexical binding
> > solve?

> My 2 cents are that it solves the problem of consistency if we assume
> lexical binding is going to be the default for the future.

What problem of consistency?

> Indeed to become default it has to start somewhere.

So, you would presumably agree with me, you know of no specific problem
that lexical binding in M-: will solve.  It causes breakage.  But you
think it's a good idea, anyway?

I believe people who say lexical binding is a good idea, even though I
can't see any benefit myself.  But there are places where lexical
binding is not a good thing, and M-: is one of these, in my view.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).