Re: rename buffer but overwrite already existing one

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: rename buffer but overwrite already existing one
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 20:46:51 +0100

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
   >> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 20:23:15 +0100

   >> > Yes, but it's called copy-to-buffer, not rename-buffer.
   >>
   >> Thanks for pointing this out to me, but I have to mark the whole buffer
   >> first, which is a but inconvenient, I say.

   > That's just "C-x h" away.

I know, but decades of abusing rename-buffer are difficult to come by..

   >> Couldn't there an argument added so that with the argument the whole
   >> buffer is copied?

   > I suggest to submit a feature request.

I thought that even I could implement this
but

(defun my-copy-to-buffer (buffer)
  "Copy to specified BUFFER the whole buffer."
  (interactive "BCopy to buffer: \n")
  (let ((oldbuf (current-buffer)))
    (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create buffer)
      (barf-if-buffer-read-only)
      (erase-buffer)
      (save-excursion
        (insert-buffer-substring oldbuf (point-min) (point-max))))))

Copies 0 bytes. sigh