Re: Is it possible to change the recv buffer size dynamically for networ

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it possible to change the recv buffer size dynamically for network process or subprocess?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 16:01:37 +0200

> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:30:00 +0800
> From: HaiJun Zhang <address@hidden>
> Cc: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
>  Does Emacs take too long to react to some events? Does its memory use
>  grow unreasonably? Is the rest of the system affected?
>
>  Stefan
>
> If too many data arrives, emacs may be unresponsive.

Unresponsive due to what processing?  Are you saying that just
_receiving_ the data takes most of the time?  I think what takes most
of the time is the processing by the filter function, in which case
making the filter function process just the few first characters will
do.

But even if you think I'm wrong, and most of the time is taken by
receiving the data, please show the profile to back that up.  It is
IME wrong to start optimizing code without measuring it first, because
bottlenecks usually happen in unexpected places, and you may well end
up gaining nothing from the optimization that is not backed by
measurements.