Re: master d08c947: Make compilation-mode regexp matching case-sensitive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master d08c947: Make compilation-mode regexp matching case-sensitive (bug#40119)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:54:26 -0400

> +(defcustom compilation-error-case-fold-search nil
> +  "If non-nil, use case-insensitive matching of compilation errors
> +by the regexps of `compilation-error-regexp-alist' and
> +`compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist'.
> +If nil, matching is case-sensitive."
> +  :type 'boolean
> +  :version "28.1")

This makes no sense as a user-config.

The regular expressions are written either with or without case-folding
in mind, so changing it globally is a recipe for problems.

If we want to allow case-insensitive regexp matching, then we should
extend the syntax of `compilation-error-regexp-alist` so that a given
entry there can request it to be used with case-folding.

        Stefan

PS: The same applies to the "zero/one-based column numbers" and
    the "char-colums vs visual-columns vs byte-columns", admittedly.