Re: pull requests

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: pull requests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 18:21:35 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 10:37:38 -0400
>
> >> Assuming you use the web UI, you can typically attach comments to code
> >> regions.
> >
> > And how does one point to such past discussions, or more generally
> > make sure they end up in some centralized place we could later
> > revisit?
>
> These comments survive even after the pull request is merged, so the tracker
> that hosted the discussion and the code comments acts as that centralized
> place.

So we are supposed to keep pointers to those sites, and use them?  How
do we know which site holds what relevant discussions? who will
remember that several years after the discussion took place?  And what
if the tracker that hosted the discussion goes dark (e.g., because the
person who submitted the patch is no longer keeping the branch, or
simply because the hosting service is discontinued?

I really don't see how a project that is 30-something years old, and
intends to live for several more decades, can possibly rely on such
infrastructure for discussions that might prove important years from
now.  We must have all these archives in a single place, which we can
control and which we can ensure continues to be available for years to
come.