Re: Process to build standalone Emacs + deps in Windows

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Process to build standalone Emacs + deps in Windows
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 19:36:05 +0000

Juan José García-Ripoll <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> If this is indeed so, it's a bug in the build procedure.  All the
>> optional DLLs (a.k.a. "dependencies") are loaded dynamically at run
>> time, and if some DLL is unavailable, the corresponding features will
>> fail, but Emacs will still run "by itself" and be a useful editor.
>
> Sorry, it seems I misunderstood the *-no-deps concept deeply. I had
> always assumed that *-no-deps whas a zip to be installed on top of the
> *-deps one.

Other way around. If you unpack the deps zip (emacs-27-x86_64-deps.zip) and
the no-deps emacs (emacs-27.0.90-2-x86_64-no-deps.zip) into the same
structure, you would get the same as emacs-27.0.90-2-x86_64.zip.

For early versions of Emacs, (emacs-25) we had emacs-25.zip and then a
"deps" file that you unpacked. But I wanted the "with-dependencies" to
be the one with the simplest name, because that's what people would
choose most often.

I think -no-deps is probably most useful for people who want to unpack
it over a msys2 installation that they already have. Unfortunately I
don't have information and who and what people are actually using.

Phil