Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Avoid duplicate emacs.exe / emacs-$version.exe
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 22:22:18 +0000

Juan José García-Ripoll <address@hidden> writes:

> Phillip Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>> Incidentally, I build, run and (sort of) test the Windows distribution
>> under NTFS compression which all works fine. If these circumstances, I
>> think, even the difference between two files or hard-linked is moot.
>
> Not everyone has the luxury of commanding full configuration of their
> computers. Some have to install software at the user level, without
> administrator priviledges to do that configuration, or in a hardened
> virtual machine or a computer that is not really up to the task of
> handling everything with compression. So, while space nowadays seems
> "free", if small changes can tidy up a piece of sofware, why not
> implement them?

I think we all carry around the prejudices of our childhood. I taught
myself to program a while back. I often take a slow, cautious approach
with memory and space. My students tend not to at least not when talking
about less than 100Mb and increasing Gb. I used to shake my head in
despair, but then I realised that their code was simpler, cleaner and
faster than mine.

It's good that you are picking around the Windows build and I would like
to incorporate some of the changes; but not at the cost of (too much)
increased complexity in the source code. My build files have got too
complex already.

Phil