Re: emacs-tree-sitter and font-lock

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: emacs-tree-sitter and font-lock
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 22:20:28 +0300

On 29.03.2020 21:54, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I think it's just a reflection of the fact that author doesn't know
enough about jit-lock and font-lock.
Indeed, that font-lock rule can be a function is not very well-known.

Although it seems fairly clearly documented.
Not sure how we could solve this.

Not sure either.

I once wrote a SO answer describing this, it was well-accepted.

I sent him some patches that should help.
That's mighty good of you.
I was curious and wanted to take a look, though, but couldn't find them
neither among pull requests, nor the issue comments. :-(

I don't how to participate in a Github pull request with
Free Software.

Have you tried just using it through Firefox with JavaScript disabled (which is probably the crux of your "only Free Software" complaint)?

I can both log into GitHub this way, and create/comment on issues. And a pull request is also "an issue", in that it also has a comments section.

Less essential features don't work, but that's beside the point.

IIUC there are some Elisp packages for that, but
I haven't investigated how that would work.
So I sent the patches via email.  I put the main one after my sig.

Thanks, it looks quite reasonable.