Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 14:27:30 -0400

On Apr 2, 2020, at 2:03 PM, 조성빈 <address@hidden> wrote:

Maybe it’s just because I got lost through a lot of emails, and Mail.app
doesn't really thread these emails properly, but I can’t understand the
resistance of the front-up parsing.

I think we are just discussing if there is any way to not parse the whole buffer up front. (Which I consider unlikely because of the nature of parsing.)

The current shipping CC-Mode is parsing most of the code front-up, and
clearly tree sitter will be faster than that. AFAIU parsing code only by
only looking through a peephole is super hard except for some languages
that are designed for peephole processing - and that makes it only hard,
not super hard.

Some modes doesn’t require a font-up parsing. IIRC, an example from an earlier message is _javascript_-mode.

Yuan