Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 10:46:28 +0200

> I looked into this, and although it's no doubt fundamentally due to a
> slow algorithm, the slowness is exacerbated if you use -Og (which you
> appear to be using).

I'm using '-O0 -g3 -no-pie' for builds that I use to debug issues and
'-O3 -no-pie' for builds that I use for daily work.  If I were to change
this (involving some 50 builds on various machines and partitions) I
would need to be convinced that the new options would not change
anything when running the debug builds and would not slow down anything
when running the optimized builds.

> Stefan's recent message hinted at this. I
> installed the attached into master to try to fix the -Og issue; please
> give it a try.

> The slow algorithm should be fixed too, but I'm no expert there.
>
>>  > Is that the Black Edition 5000+ or the regular one? The Black Edition was
quite the thing in 2007. :-)

>> How would I find out?

> Your BIOS right after cycling power, I expect. It's not high priority
> to find out. As I vaguely recall the main advantage of the Black
> Edition is that you could overclock, and if you had a Black Edition my
> next suggestion was going to be a joke that you should overclock your
> ancient and slow CPU to make your Emacs faster....

It offers me an overclock mode with a CPU frequency of 200 MHz and a
PCIE Frequency of 100.  I also have M2 Boost disabled whatever that
means.  Still no idea whether that means that I have a Black Edition.
Maybe I'll install a program called CPU-Z (or CPUID ?) to find out.

martin