Re: A proposal for the future of open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A proposal for the future of open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start.
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 22:08:20 +0300

Hi Alan,

On 05.04.2020 16:47, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
`syntax-open-paren-in-literal' would be applied throughout the buffer
when it is first loaded into Emacs, and would be kept up to date by
"super before/after-change-functions".  (These functions would be called
at buffer changes regardless of the value of inhibit-modification-hooks.
We would want some way of inhibiting them being called on a change of
text properties, for efficiency's sake).

With this mechanism in place, o-p-i-c-0-i-d-s could safely be left
enabled, for speed's sake, without causing the all too familiar bugs in
CC Mode.

What do people think?

While I'm not convinced that syntax-ppss is a significant bottleneck now, nor crazy about the idea of yet another kind of hooks which will have to scan the whole buffer after every buffer change, I say go for it. :-)

The proposed approach seems easy enough to implement, and then you could do some real-world benchmarks (something like: 1. scrolling 50 times, 2. typing new code in a big file, 3. simply visiting a big file), compare and see what improved, and what didn't, and by how much. Then we'd have something to discuss, at least.