Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 22:29:30 -0400

You've written an extremely clear explanation of how fontification and
scrolling interact.  I'm impressed.

  > Of course, if fast-but-imprecise-scrolling makes the job of scroll
  > commands so much easier that Emacs is capable of keeping up with the
  > keyboard auto-repeat rate, then every screen-full you scroll through
  > _will_ be displayed, and therefore will be fontified by the calls to
  > jit-lock from redisplay itself -- and that will again make scrolling
  > slower.  So fast-but-imprecise-scrolling is most efficient when it
  > makes scroll commands faster, but not too fast...

I think that is true, if "faster" and "slower" are interpreted in
terms of CPU time used.  But if all of that work, including the
fontification of each screenful, is so quick that Emacs never falls
behind, I think it won't seem like "slowness" to the user -- who never
has to _wait_ for it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman