Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 10:25:31 -0400

> What's bothering me more is that when I put an overlay somewhere in a
> buffer and eventually remove it, underlying text properties provided by
> the font locking mechanism are never restored

Overlays should usually not affect the way font-lock *puts* properties.
So when you remove the overlay, there should be no need to re-run
font-lock, and the mere redisplay should make the underlying text
properties (previously installed by font-lock) visible.

But all this depends on specifics, so without knowing what kind of
overlay you're putting/removing when/where/how it's hard to know where's
the problem.

IOW: make it a bug report.

        Stefan