Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 09:00:04 -0400

> Depends on what you mean by "precision".  They might very well miss
> some parts of the buffer entirely, i.e. never see them on display.

But that happens regardless of whether the scroll is computed correctly,
because redisplay itself is skipped.

> This may or may not be important, depending on the use case.  An
> editor is not supposed to skip portions of the buffer when scrolling
> continuously.

If we can arrange for the "skip jit-lock during scroll" to ensure that
the subsequent redisplay also skips jit-lock (or is itself skipped),
then this should not happen, right?
E.g. in the case where jit-lock-defer-time > 0.

> Here, it behaves much better.  So maybe some other factors are at work
> in your configuration.

I think different definitions of "better" are at play here as well.

        Stefan