Re: Garbage collector: is 800kb a good default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Garbage collector: is 800kb a good default?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:42:18 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 09:03:05 -0400
>
> > We are miscommunicating.  My complaint was about the _response_ time,
> > which is the time that passes between me pressing a key and Emacs
> > reacting to that.  In your description above it is the time between
> > "the user hits a key" and "the command starts".
>
> The user can't know when Emacs reacts to the key: in both cases there's
> no sign of life until point 4 finishes (that's assuming the command is
> something like self-insert-command where there's no user interaction
> *during* the command).

Even for self-insert-command, I can easily know whether the command
started or not, because I have garbage-collection-messages turned on.

And many commands do include user interaction.  "C-x C-f" and "C-x b"
come to mind.  They are very frequent in my use patterns, and
typically one of them happens after some amount of idle time, so idle
timers kick in.  As result, I needed to tune several long-running idle
timers.  I'd hate to see GC becoming one of them.