Re: Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 23:35:12 +0800

> Following mode plus atomic windows seems doable. But it wouldn’t be
> transparent, AFAIK follow-mode needs to add special handlers for
> things like isearch and query-replace. OTOH, it would be much more
> difficult to implement in xdisp.c. I wonder if there is an
> intermediate layer that’s higher level than redisplay (in lisp, or at
> least not in redisplay) but still more or less transparent.

What about extending the idea of indirect buffers? In indirect buffers,
the buffer strings are associated with the same memory address storing
the text (if I understand correctly). Similar thing (theoretically) can
be done for individual segments of text. Indeed, there will still be a
question on how the fontification is done, if the overlays should be
shared, and how the key bindings should behave on such segments, but the
basic functionality of automatically sharing text segments between
buffers may be a good framework to start considering more complicated
cases.

Best,
Ihor

--