Re: Remote asynchronous processes

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Remote asynchronous processes
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:28:54 +0200

Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Philippe,

> So basically what you need to know is how `make-process` is used in
> the wild. If that helps, magit only uses `start-file-process` and
> never `make-process`.
>
> You could try to grep other common libraries to see, on the ones I
> follow the only reference to `make-process` I found was in counsel's
> `counsel--call` doc string, to mention it uses the same arguments list
> (but never actually calls it).

I don't believe that make-process is used for remote processes
already. This feature has been added in Emacs 27, see etc/NEWS:

** 'make-process' now takes a keyword argument ':file-handler'; if
that is non-nil, it will look for a file name handler for the current
buffer's 'default-directory' and invoke that file name handler to make
the process.  That way 'make-process' can start remote processes.

If we change the behavior as proposed, we should add a warning about the
prospective change in Emacs 28 here.

> Kind regards,
> Philippe

Best regards, Michael.