Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 05:04:08 +0300

On 12.04.2020 08:03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Normally, input_was_pending should be the same during scroll than during
the subsequent redisplay, so there should not be any loss of precision, no.
No, the same loss of precision as associated with f-b-i-s. Since font-lock
won't occur while scrolling, whatever different-sized fonts, etc, that could
be applied, won't be. So the scrolling positions will be imprecise.
It is precise in the sense that it will skip exactly the amount
corresponding to what is displayed.  Because jit-lock is skipped, what
is displayed is different, but the scrolling itself is "precise".

Hmm, good point.

Overall, this approach might be better than nothing (better than stalling display, I think), especially if font-lock right after a file has been visited can be fixed.

As default behavior, though, users or mid-power systems might prefer if we throttle keyboard input in such conditions instead.