Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 19:21:59 -0400

>> You don't know whether it's an unterminated raw string (the usual case)
>> until you've scanned for a potential closing delimiter.
> Is C++ syntax so ambiguous? Can R"( mean something else?

No it has nothing to do with the language's syntax.

It's just a UI choice: Alan likes to highlight the opening string
delimiter of unterminated strings [ Not sure why CC-mode doesn't do the
same for unterminated comments, tho maybe it's just an oversight.  ]

I think this should not vary between major modes, IOW it should be
a separate feature that works on all major modes.

        Stefan