Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: chad
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:44:54 -0700

To be clear, I think the goal would be to have a close-to-turnkey system for emacs that added emacs' side of the LSP equation, that would integrate with whatever language package the user wanted (compiler, interpreter, etc.) to use. Roughly speaking, something like emacs-lsp (https://github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-mode), somewhat integrated into emacs. Then a hypothetical user that wanted to program in, say, OCaml, would install either ocaml-language-server or ocaml-lsp-server, and emacs-lsp would pick it up. In some cases, emacs would probably want "links" (instructions, documentation, etc.) for getting the common language server support, but usually these are bundled the toolchain for the language itself, outside of Emacs. For example, the Go language server support is installed with "go get".

HTH,
~Chad

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 8:45 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In general, for the kind of packages that we would
>> like to include in Emacs, we should push for that kind of solution.
> I'm not aware of any language server project where its authors would be
> amenable to including it in Emacs (or even just assigning the copyright
> to FSF).

Including them with Emacs would be weird.  Kind of like including `diff`
with Emacs.

        Stefan