Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:35:02 +0300

> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:47:54 -0700
> Cc: EMACS development team <address@hidden>
>
> Worth noting: If I understand correctly, the toolbar buttons are not the same
> sort of emacs item as the
> Customize buttons; the former are restricted specifically to the toolbar (and
> maybe the tab-bar, now?), and
> use a traditional GUI update/repaint/etc method, whereas customize buttons
> appear in buffers, and have to
> deal with the redisplay engine, as well as needing to work in both terminal
> and various-gui frames.

I think you mistakenly assume that tool-bar buttons always come from a
toolkit.  They aren't: Emacs is quite capable of drawing its own
built-in tool bar, and actually does this on MS-Windows (and in a
non-toolkit X build).  When that is how we show the tool bar, the
buttons there are very similar to the ones we show in Customize
buffers, except that we show images on the tool bar, something we
don't in the Customize buffers.

> It might be possible to use xwidgets to put gui toolkit buttons into
> buffers.

IMO, xwidgets are not sufficiently portable to use them as a basis for
prettier buttons.