Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:05:15 -0400

On 22/04/2020 09.21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 02:54:13 +0300
>>
>> Just now, I turned on the toolbar and entered bug reporting mode with
>> 'M-x report-emacs-bug'. I am using a GNOME theme specially made for Ubuntu.
>
> I don't think I follow.  Where can I find this "GNOME theme"?  It's
> not part of the Emacs release tarball, is it?

It's shipped by GNU/Linux distributions, typically.

> What exactly do you mean by "icons follow the theme"? how does a theme
> affect icons?

In GTK builds (the default in Debian, and probably others), the toolbar uses
icons from the current GTK icon theme.  I believe this is done in
update_frame_tool_bar in gtkutil.c.

>> Perhaps the solution, at least for the GTK builds, would be to find the
>> standard icons (more concretely, icon names) that can be used for these
>> buttons

> AFAIR, last time we made such an effort, we indeed took icons from GTK
> or GNOME or from some similar collection.  But that was a long time
> ago, and in particular the two rightmost icons you see in Message mode
> were not part of that set, they were added by someone later.

It should be enough to change the name of the icons on the toolbar. No need to
take icons from GTK (if that means copying files into the Emacs repo).

Clément.