Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: chad
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs? WAS: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 17:51:04 -0700

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 4:46 PM Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2020, at 2:07, Stefan Kangas <address@hidden> wrote:
> - Misconceptions about how hard it is to work with emacs-devel.

That's something that documentation can fix.

 I'm not sure how. I think the widespread conception is that working with emacs-devel is more difficult than working with many, many other free- and open-source projects, and I think that conception is correct. Compared to "fork the project and submit a pull request" or "publish a package on melpa", following emacs' patch guidelines is harder. Emacs requires additional paperwork. Updating the documentation (NEWS, Changelog, the info manuals) is harder and involves tools, tech, and practices that are unfamiliar to most potential developers. Using debbugs has improved a lot in the past few years, but is still a pain-point for many. Following the emacs-devel mailing list is, let's say, not a welcoming experience for everyone. That doesn't even touch on the difficulties of interacting with the core.

I think that the end result of emacs' processes is high-quality code that runs on many more systems than the vast majority of software, but I don't think most new developers are shying away from working on emacs because of the lack or quality of the documentation.

~Chad