Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:50:58 -0400

>> I welcome help in doing that work, BTW.
> Is there a list of packages we would like to see included and their
> current status?

No, sorry.  But yes, it would be good for someone to manage such a list.
Since we welcome pretty much any reasonable package into GNU ELPA, the
starting list can start as "all the packages you use from MELPA".
And packages used by other packages would likely have higher priority
(which is why we worked fairly hard to get `dash` into GNU ELPA, for
example).

> Such a list could also include the packages where we have tried but
> hit a dead end.

Or not dead ends but where we're "in the process".

Other work to do is to make sure the GNU ELPA packages don't
become stale.  E.g. `dash` is out of date, IIRC.

> We could add this to the Emacs TODO and/or a separate file in the ELPA
> repository.

I think it makes more sense to keep it in elpa.git than emacs.git, but
either way works.

        Stefan