Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 23:31:37 -0400

  > I think it could be even simpler than that: ELPA is built every 24 hours
  > right now. If we just registered external repos with ELPA, part of the
  > build process could be pulling from those repos automatically

That is rather breathless, so I can't concretely understand the
proposal.  I can't start to think about what specific consequences it
might have.  I am not sure which situations you propose to use this
solution for.

If this is meant as a way to implement pull requests, there is no need
for it.  We will not implement pull requests by copying proposed
patches into our repo before they are installed.

There are various ways to implement pull requests.  The way I hope we
will do it is that maintainers can ask to see the contents of the
request, and commit it to our repo if/when that is proper.  Until that
time, the patch won't be in our repo at all.

Or maybe you're proposing a way to make a given package in GNU ELPA
virtually included from some other GNU-managed repository; the method
consisting of copying each commit automatically from that other repo
to the GNU ELPA repo.

It is ok to do that, assuming the other repo is managed appropriately,
and your method could do it.  Other methods could give equivalent
results.  We could use whichever method is most convenient.

The crucial thing is that the repo where the package is really maintained
be managed carefully in regard to who can commit changes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman