Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 23:34:10 -0400

  > But the fonts it provides declare support for portions of Unicode
  > where they have glyphs for only one or a small number of characters.
  > So if this font is installed and available to the Emacs font-selection
  > routines, it will at best make the search for a font slower, and at
  > worst might cause some characters be displayed as boxes with hex
  > codes, although some other font on the system could have displayed
  > that character.

These fonts don't HAVE to be selected via the usual Emacs font selection
mechanism.  It should be easy enough to force use of some specific font
for them.

We don't have to specify display of these font glyphs by putting a
funny character into a buffer or string with a face property.
Doing it that way is one possible Lisp interface to those fonts.

But if some other Lisp interface is more convenient, it should not be
too hard.  And it could override the usual system for font selection.

--
Dr Richard Stallman