Re: Why mouse-1/2/3 ?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Why mouse-1/2/3 ?
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:08:27 +0300

On 27.04.2020 16:27, ndame wrote:
What's more important, for example, is working language servers out of
the box, as other threads discussed. User opens a file in a particular
language and emacs automatically offers downloading and installing the
language server client and server, sets it up, sets company up and
as the user starts typing it works instantly. This is how VScode does
it.

Baby steps. I really doubt we'd have it exactly like that anytime soon, but gnu-elpa can be a step toward that. As well as a short and easy-to-use official guide on "How to get IDE features".

We don't exactly have to reach the VS Code level of ease of use. Even closing the distance somewhat will be a win in my book.

If this worked out of the box then minor peculiarities like mouse-1
wouldn't matter at all.

I still think we should take care of "papercut" bugs like that. After all, an editor that "makes sense" to you right away tends to leave much better impression.