Re: How to poll the users

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to poll the users
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 06:12:07 +0300

On 28.04.2020 05:44, Richard Stallman wrote:
I've noticed over the years that respondents tend to give simple (thus
not very useful) answers and that it is necessary to urge them to
explain more.

Just now it struck me that the word "poll" might suggest to
respondents that the answer requested is simply "How much do you like
or dislike this", with 5 or 7 possible answers from "Hate it" to "Love
it."  Does this seem likely?

Polls can have different forms and shapes.

But, of course, most people will find it easier to choose from one of the options rather than elaborate in text. Especially when they think the answer should be obvious to everybody.

Should we call it something else?  We
could describe it as a "study" or "investigation" instead of a "poll".

Since you are dead-set on doing things exactly your way, please go ahead and choose the wording, the whole message, and we'll post it in all places our users can frequent.