Re: Improved welcome screen

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Improved welcome screen
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 09:36:50 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 00:29:17 +0300
>
> > "Open a File", "Open Home Directory", "Customize Startup".
>
> Two things.
>
> First: the first two items duplicate the toolbar items, so they're
> pretty unnecessary.

Some of the links Stefan did keep are also such duplicates.  Any
reason for treating them differently?

> I think we better make the start screen better (like other editors do),
> so the users won't hurry to hide it right away. But keep the user
> option, of course.
>
> > And if there are auto-save files, we currently show a hint to type
> > "M-x recover-session RET".  Is that also gone?
>
> I don't know, but we could keep it.
>
> Second thing: I think Stefan's work is a modification of the "About"
> buffer. Whereas you are talking about the startup screen. They are close
> enough to mistake one for another, but still different. For some reason.

The Subject says "welcome screen", and you yourself use "startup
screen".  So I thought this is what we were talking about.

If you ask me, the About display is much less important than the
startup/welcome/splash screen.  I very much doubt newbies look at the
About display; they almost always look at the startup screen at least
once.