Re: emacs for pure Gtk3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs for pure Gtk3
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 17:34:17 +0300

> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 22:42:53 +0900 (JST)
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Yuuki Harano <address@hidden>
>
> Since it needs --without-x to build pgtk emacs, these files are not compiled:
> - xfns.c
> - xgselect.c
> - xmenu.c
> - xrdb.c
> - xselect.c
> - xsmfns.c
> - xterm.c
>
> Instead, works in those files are done in these files in pure gtk way:
> - pgtkfns.c
> - pgtkim.c
> - pgtkmenu.c
> - pgtkselect.c
> - pgtkterm.c

That's a lot of functionality to rewrite from scratch.

> >> Pgtk emacs supports X window system too through Gtk library.
> >> It can handle Wayland, X window system, and TTY in the same session.
> >> But segmentation fault may occur when running on X and Wayland
> >> in the same session.
> >
> > I guess those segfaults need to be fixed, because having a GUI Emacs
> > that can only run on Wayland would be a limitation that users might be
> > unhappy about?
>
> Yes, I think so, too.
>
> I remember that Emacs has previously an issue when multiple display
> environments.  I thought that the segfaults was the same issue.
> Was that fixed?

I don't think I understand what issues you had in mind.  Can you give
any details, so I could look up those issues?

> luna:emacs % emacs --batch -l test/src/thread-tests.el
> luna:emacs % echo $?
> 0
> luna:emacs %
> ----
>
> Did it succeed?

Probably.  But instead of running the tests blind, it is better to do
this:

  % cd test
  % make src/thread-tests

This will display the summary of the tests, and say explicitly whether
all of the passed.

Thanks.