Re: master 8f0f851: * lisp/autoarg.el: Use lexical binding.

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: master 8f0f851: * lisp/autoarg.el: Use lexical binding.
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 05:58:06 +0200

Vladimir Sedach <address@hidden> writes:

> Touretzky provides lots of examples of how to use RESULT with DOTIMES
> and DOLIST in _Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction_. Conceptually,
> RESULT is a neat way to have the DOLIST/DOTIMES/DO expression

Some of us don't find it neat.

Are there examples in that book that aren't easily rewritten without the
RESULT arg, and/or the skeptical people here would say ah! that's really
neat and elegant?

Do you often use it, personally?

> Deprecating RESULT makes it harder to port Common Lisp code to Elisp.

As I said, I would make the cl- version support it.  I don't expect that
code is very frequently ported from Common Lisp to Elisp.  But AFAIR
scheme also has RESULT in its `do', so people coming from other Lisps
might miss it.  I don't know any Lisp programmers, I can't say.

Michael.