Re: Namespacing Emacs's core (was: [ELPA] New package: transient)

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: Namespacing Emacs's core (was: [ELPA] New package: transient)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 20:56:53 +0200

I realise after everything I said that I forgot to link to Emacs coding conventions in my initial post:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Coding-Conventions.html

"You should choose a short word to distinguish your program from other Lisp programs. The names of all global symbols in your program, that is the names of variables, constants, and functions, should begin with that chosen prefix. Separate the prefix from the rest of the name with a hyphen, ‘-’. This practice helps avoid name conflicts, since all global variables in Emacs Lisp share the same name space, and all functions share another name space1. Use two hyphens to separate prefix and name if the symbol is not meant to be used by other packages."

I'm sorry if I missexpressed or wasn't clear enough: I don't want to rename the world. I just think the emacs API would be more clear if it was better namespaced, and that many tools would benefit from it. To better namespace it I proposed to add aliases.

What to alias, when, where and how is all up to discussion.

Kind regards,
Philippe